sc2c.org

Go Back   Sc2C.org > Developer's Corner > General Development
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2010, 07:15 PM   #1
Luph

Default Thoughts on Battle.net 2.0 Custom Map Menu

Hello friends, I use to follow wc3c a long time ago and I am a bit saddened there is not at least a little bit of discussion concerning this topic over here. Anyways, I recently posted a rather lengthy argument about the state/direction of the custom map menu and was wondering if anyone wanted to chime in.

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/933033671
Luph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 07:32 PM   #2
JademusSreg
Laughs Derisively

I think the consensus is that the current system is significantly less than spectacular; there is no contention on that topic. The suggestions you made are pretty good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luph
3) A rating system is put in place. I'm a bit skeptical of the "sort by general rating" but as long as it doesn't completely prohibit maps without a strong rating it doesn't bother me.
So long as map or mod can only be up-rated, this would work fairly well.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:56 PM   #3
akolyt0r

needed options:
#1: checkbox "show hosted maps only"
#2: checkbox "show hosted maps individually"
#3: Improved search, you should be able to specify one or more of the following search parameters:
- search by map name
- search by game name
- search by mode

only checking #1 would result in only showing 1 entry in the list for a given map, although more than 1 are hosted, but not showing maps in the list which arent hosted.

additionally checking #2 would result in showing each instance of a hosted map individually, with a optional game name chosen by the host.
akolyt0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:57 AM   #4
Ammorth
I blink therefore I am

wc3's custom game list worked fine. Why change something that works? Allowing authors to upload their maps to a central database that talks with b.net is a plus, but it is also mutually exclusive to the game list.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:00 AM   #5
TKF
Cruiser Commander

I would prefer if they also keep the current system if they add name based games, cuz I don't wanna see tons of income wars, dota etc flooding my game list. So you could pick popularity when you want too, or pick search for names when you want to look for good games which is far down the popularity ladder.

Also the variety system which prevents the most popular maps from flooding the name list as well.

Also an online bnet 2.0 forum where you can create posts on other users accounts and give feedback on their maps they play would be great. The current upload system kinda makes it much harder to get feedback on maps as users no longer goes on epicwar or other map sites to look for maps since it's kinda all on bnet now.
TKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:40 PM   #6
2-P
chasing vapor trails

Looking at the BN community, I highly doubt that a voting system is going to work even halfway decent.
Maybe a "only thumbs up" system, but the more popular the map is, the more votes it gets, so... difference?
2-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:39 PM   #7
TKF
Cruiser Commander

It's now much more decent. I can actually search for my favourite maps, but NOONE JOINS!!!!

bleh...

But Mafia was a bit fun. But obviously only those games which most people joins is still playable, unless you can organize some friends to play a certain good map, which is ofc hated by rest of bnetters....

urrrr fail sc2.....
Old 09-28-2011, 05:39 PM   #8
ShadowDestroyer

I don't care if my map is ever popular. I care when I host my map and it is COMPLETELY invisible. I have to manually invite people to join my game.
ShadowDestroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:14 AM   #9
Enviable Lemon
Reputation Leech

Send a message via AIM to Enviable Lemon

ah, an opportunity to increase my post count...

but really, i agree with you, as i think, do the rest of the people on this site; the system is badly flawed and it probably won't get fixed.
Enviable Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote