sc2c.org

Go Back   Sc2C.org > Developer's Corner > General Development
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2010, 03:03 AM   #1
Pyrogasm
Lackadaisically Absent

Send a message via AIM to Pyrogasm Send a message via MSN to Pyrogasm Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrogasm Send a message via Skype to Pyrogasm
Default Inane Load Times

The time it takes me to load anything in-game is absolutely atrocious. The Hyperion bridge takes a good 10+ minutes, and campaign levels are comparable. Hell, even after finishing a level, the score screen can take 3 minutes to show up.

Models in the "available tech" corner of Campaign levels cause the game to freeze for a good 5-10 seconds before they're displayed.

What the fuck is going on?

I have a very decent late-2008 Macbook Pro that runs other games fine. And that's the weird thing... in-game I can put the settings up to "High" without any real issues.

Earth-Fury mentioned HDD read/write speed or amount of RAM... but I have found posts on the internet of people with systems equal to mine complaining about 1-2 minute load times!

My friend suggested a corrupted install, but I haven't had the opportunity to reinstall yet. Thoughts?
Huh. Almost makes me wish I had a girlfriend, to take advantage of today (wait, no, that's not what I meant... I mean, take advantage of the fact that it is international women's day... gah, never mind).
Pyrogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:19 PM   #2
Deolrin
Awaken, my child...

Send a message via MSN to Deolrin

It was the same for me on my older computer, except that my old computer actually lagged in-game on Low settings. My new computer, a Windows 7 PC, runs everything smoothly on Ultra and things load very fast. Except for a few cases, for example, profiles and achievements and Quick Match take a while, but I suppose that's just my internet.

But, well, I'm not sure what the problem is. Perhaps you really should reinstall.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:24 PM   #3
JademusSreg
Laughs Derisively

I don't have any trouble with loading; only some custom maps have what I think are inordinate loading times.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:02 PM   #4
Ammorth
I blink therefore I am

Try navigating to your StarCraft II folder which contains your account info and saves, etc (located in My Documents on windows) and add "frameratecapGlue=30" to the Variable.txt file. This will cap the frame-rate to 30fps in loading screens. The game may be running your computer to the max rending the loading screen, it has no time left to load.

I would also get a benchmark of your HD speed using HD Tune (or other application). You may have a faulty drive/partially damaged drive and it could cause serious increases to loading time.

Those are the only possible quick fixes I can think of atm.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:31 AM   #5
moyack
Optimus is your daddy

Nahh, let's face it: SC2 is a resource whore. I want to run it in my pentium II pc and I can't.

The place to contribute and share knowledge about SC2 Editor.
Power of Corruption Forums (patch 1.24+ compatible). Download here
moyack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:38 AM   #6
Ammorth
I blink therefore I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyack
Nahh, let's face it: SC2 is a resource whore. I want to run it in my pentium II pc and I can't.

You obviously have not seen Crysis then. That thing still dumps chunks on my PC.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:49 PM   #7
TKF
Cruiser Commander

I can't play campaign on my laptop cuz it's also extremly slow. However your example sounds worse than my laptop and my laptop is windows based and also from 2008.

Starcraft II will sucks on laptops, especially when for some reason you are out of ram (2gb isn't enough) it takes forever to load anything.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:34 PM   #8
akolyt0r

i also have a notebook from 2007, and i can run SC2 fine on medium settings (in some campaign maps though, i have to set shaders to low... but on multiplayer medium settings run fine)
campaign maps still need some time to load (1.5 minutes maybe), but im ok with that.

SC2 depends quite heavily on CPU and Ram as far as i know... that may be the reason that it runs ok on my laptop, since i have an above-average CPU (for late 2007) aka T7500, but like you, i only have 2GB RAM.

And of course i am running windows xp and not one of its resource hungry successors
akolyt0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:06 PM   #9
JademusSreg
Laughs Derisively

Quote:
Nahh, let's face it: SC2 is a resource whore.
Nah, you're thinking of Civilization 5 and every Bioware game.

And SC2 is hardly taxing on my system, and I've only got a ~$400 graphics card, quad core, and 4 GB RAM.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:51 AM   #10
Enviable Lemon
Reputation Leech

Send a message via AIM to Enviable Lemon

Quote:
Nahh, let's face it: SC2 is a resource whore.

idk, i have a 2k laptop and it runs everything except for massing cloaking fine. i think cloaking doubles the number of polys on screen...
Enviable Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote