Go Back   Sc2C.org > Developer's Corner > Data Editing
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
Ammorth
I blink therefore I am

Default Remove cloaked "ripple" effect

I'm looking at a way to remove the "ripple" effect that cloaked units show (while undetected). Although I am a total noob with the data editor, I was unable to find anything that would allow me to remove the effect.

I really hope this isn't hard-coded, and that the rippling can be removed. I need a unit that the owner can see, but other can't. The issue is cloaked units can be spotted by their ripple, and this unit needs to be completely invisible. If someone has an idea on how to either remove the ripple from perm cloak (DTs) or come up with a way to simulate the effect, using a different approach, that would be awesome.

Thanks guys!

TLDNR: I need to remove the ripple or create an ability that "cloaks" without a ripple.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
TKF
Cruiser Commander

This is hardcoded afaik.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:59 PM   #3
JademusSreg
Laughs Derisively

Create a perfect duplicate of the terrain for each player and have the player characters interact with stand-ins. Cloaked units simply wouldn't be displayed.

Give the cloaking unit a negative height to its ripple doesn't appear below the terrain.

Do cloak ripples appear for burrowed units? If not, make the unit use a burrow-like morph ability.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:40 PM   #4
Ammorth
I blink therefore I am

I think a burrow ability like the roaches or infester with an ability that simulates attacking from underground, would be best. Now to figure out how to do it...
Old 09-02-2010, 08:38 PM   #5
Belphegor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammorth
I'm looking at a way to remove the "ripple" effect that cloaked units show (while undetected). Although I am a total noob with the data editor, I was unable to find anything that would allow me to remove the effect.
Don't do that. Just go to your unit's Unit - Flags select Buried and Cloaked ( but not Undetectable :P). If you want them transparent add a Unit Birth * Event with Set Opacity msg to Model Actor and voila. Wc3 here we come.

Only difference between a Zergling and Zergling (Burrowed) is the that the latter has Buried and Cloaked selected and movement/attack disabled. And I tested it, it works. I just added errorneslly added Undetectable and lo and behold my Observer couldn't find them.

PS. They don't seem transparent though. You might want to make them transparent by default (to simulate perma cloaking). I have no clue how to do that.

PPS. Woot I made them transparent.

Last edited by Belphegor : 09-03-2010 at 02:04 AM. Reason: PSS
Belphegor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:41 PM   #6
Ammorth
I blink therefore I am

Thanks Belphegor, that worked perfectly.