Go Back   Sc2C.org > Developer's Corner > General Development
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2010, 09:55 PM   #1
Adovid
Data Editor ZOMG

Default Arranged Lobby Teams as best as I can tell

Note: This seems to work well but the catch is that every team in lobby will always correspond to a random team created in the map. Doesn't seem like there is an option in the properties to get around this but if you find one please post.

Use point layer in the editor to place start locations.

1. Point placement--
Create Neutral Hostile start locations(name them neutral, and hostile), then start locations for team arrangements.

Under Map options:

2. Player Properties--
Set Neutral and Hostile players to their corresponding start locations and leave all other start locations random.

2a. Set team placement(basic)
Set alliances by start location. (usually you would want start locations that are close to each other).

2b. Set Team placement(advanced)
Arrange team groupings by start location (make sure alliances match up with team groupings) and enemies(usually checked for all other groupings).

Make sure that your team groupings have equal number of start locations otherwise they wont link(let you assign enemies) and it will be messed up.

3. Game Variants
Create one (right click and set [default])

3a. General Tab:
name it default.

3b. Game Type tab:
Mode: Name: (name it "default" since you can't get around the fact that there is an unavoidable custom mode setting that messes everything up and if you leave it blank you will have two "customs" on the list and you don't want your option to look identical to the "screw everything up" option.)

Max Team Size: (max players on each team-- should match the number of start locations in each grouping).

3c. Attributes Tab: Set these properties--

(Game)Lock Alliances: yes (locked)

(Game)Teams: Any will do, Just make sure to modify the corresponding (Player)Team[custom, 2 teams, 3 teams, etc.] (locked)
(note: If you use custom teams, host will be able to create a new team when right clicking a player in lobby and this might mess up the game.)

(Player)Team[ *(custom, 2 teams, 3 teams, etc.)]:
(1)Player1 Team1[1] unlocked
(2)Player2 Team1[2] unlocked
(3)Player3 Team1[3] unlocked
...For each player on each team...

(Note: Make sure the number of players on each team matches the number of start locations in each grouping. This also means you have to make sure that your teams have equal number of players .)

Publish, start a game and arrange players into teams in lobby(all positions don't have to be filled for teams to work) and you should start as a team in a random grouping on the map.
This was done using ai's and setting their colors.

Last edited by Adovid : 08-25-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Adovid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:11 AM   #2
Zero

What do you mean by this:

"This seems to work well but the catch is that every team in lobby will always correspond to a random team created in the map?"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:35 AM   #3
Adovid
Data Editor ZOMG

If you set team placement in player properties it will arrange alliance by start location so that you can make it so that people who start near each other are on the same team.

But not only that, if you use random start locations and the teams designated by the game variants are equivalent in size and number to the start locations in the team placements this will make battle.net want to use the team placements for the teams arranged in the lobby.

Only problem is you can't tell battle.net what team is going to be where.

I am assuming that blizzard doesn't want people to be able to pick where they start exactly because doing that could add an advantage or disadvantage to one side if the map is imbalanced and to prevent someone from hosting the map and arranging their team on the side that has the advantage.

Last edited by Adovid : 09-08-2010 at 08:52 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:02 PM   #4
snow

the variant that is automaticly added (custom) can be changed in the data editor: Game UI Data -> Auto Variant.

I didn't find out how to get it exactly how I wanted though.
snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:05 AM   #5
Zero

Ok so I guess the main question I'm asking and need clarified is does this work?

Does this make the teams in the lobby actually reflect to in game? More explicit, can I use this in my TFC map to get it to work?
Old 09-10-2010, 11:40 AM   #6
Adovid
Data Editor ZOMG

Teams in lobby wont reflect to teams in game directly, a team in lobby will reflect to either one of the two teams in game but the players will be on the same team non the less.

@Snow: Good to know thanks!
Old 09-10-2010, 09:45 PM   #7
Zero

Ya ok so it's still retarded :\