sc2c.org

Go Back   Sc2C.org > Developer's Corner > Scripting
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2010, 12:22 PM   #21
Ammorth
I blink therefore I am

Now-a-days, storage is less of a concern than processing power. You can easily get a terabyte HD for under 100 dollars (US). Processing power, on the other hand, is limited. The only use of compression is that network speeds are even more limited. So that is why they compress network traffic (streams, large files, etc) so that the processor can make up for the short-comings of network speed.

So, using this as a storage compression is rather useless. However, being able to encrypt storage would be something worth looking into (if you want to look at anything along these lines).

The other point this system can be used for it save-load codes. From what I understood, banks can be used in multiplayer maps and therefore can store the players hero, without a save-load code. If this isn't the case, a system like this is vital to the operation of save-load codes. Reason being is human interaction with a computer is far slower than anything the computer does. Therefore we need to compress the data the human has to input to overcome the shortfalls of horrible input speeds.

TLDNR: I would look at encryption methods for banks instead of a save-load system.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:28 PM   #22
Anitarf
Procrastination incarnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3rius
To be honest, when I'll use STARCODE I'll just scrap all the GUI functions and put there source code somewhere in my script. The easy packaging and GUI functions are mostly useful for mappers who're not using custom scripts.
That's exactly what we mean, though. A GUI library is nice to have and if that means it comes with some unavoidable artifacts, so be it, that's not a problem at all. However, when posting just the code of the library, which people are likely to copy to their script like you yourself said you were going to, it would be nice if you pruned the code of any such artifacts that are no longer needed.
Anitarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:17 PM   #23
FuzzYD

um, I cant seem to download the files. says i dont have permission. =/

edit: nvm.. seems like i was required to post first.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:44 PM   #24
s3rius

@Anitarf:
I posted this as a GUI library. I only included the script because I was asked to. If you want to, you can simply take the library and only use the "Source" custom script file. Everything is in there, no artifacts in this case.

@Ammorth:
It's not a matter of traffic itself. The problem is that banks in multiplayer are only allowed to keep a certain amount of information.
Saving units, for example, would very quickly exceed the size limit and the map wouldn't load anymore.
The size limit is about a 800-characters long string. If you have a map with a lot of stuff to save, you'll have to compress the data as well as possible to not reach the limit too quickly.
s3rius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:22 PM   #25
Ammorth
I blink therefore I am

So there is a limit. Then this system is perfect for addressing that. The question now becomes why does Blizzard impose such horrible and constricting limitations? Most people running SC2 have upwards of 500GB of system storage. Making the limit 1-2 MB of data would be no problem.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:40 PM   #26
s3rius

Well, they probably want to reduce traffic. 2 MB of data can be quite a lot of traffic as every player has to send his bank to every other player for synchronisation at map initialisation.
In a full 8-players map that'd make 112 MB traffic (8 players send 2 MB to 7 players each).
With my upload (50 kb/s) I'd need almost 5 minutes to send my share (14 MB) to everyone! But their system requires banks (in mutliplayer) to be finished at map init. Thus I'd increase loading times by a whopping 5 minutes for everyone.

Last edited by s3rius : 07-27-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:04 PM   #27
Anitarf
Procrastination incarnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3rius
I posted this as a GUI library. I only included the script because I was asked to. If you want to, you can simply take the library and only use the "Source" custom script file. Everything is in there, no artifacts in this case.
I see. Well, in that case, you could have posted the contents of the Source file instead. Sorry to have bothered you so much about this, we're just trying to come up with good conventions for sharing and discussing code.
Anitarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:11 PM   #28
composure19d

Thank you very much for this. I'm impressed!
composure19d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:55 PM   #29
Toadcop

Quote:
Well, they probably want to reduce traffic. 2 MB of data can be quite a lot of traffic as every player has to send his bank to every other player for synchronisation at map initialisation.
In a full 8-players map that'd make 112 MB traffic (8 players send 2 MB to 7 players each).
? why i don't understand.
2 MB of data what for data ?
+ wrong.
everyone send to server and server send to all so. (except host he handles 8 - 8)
1 - output
8 - input
Toadcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:44 AM   #30
s3rius

A 2 MB large bank. I was refering to Ammorth's comment of bank limits.

I was under the impression that everyone sends their banks directly to the other players, but even if that isn't the case it'll still be 112 MB of traffic:

8 players, 7 players send their banks to the host (2*7=14 MB traffic).
The host sends this package, including his own bank to every player (minus each respective player's own bank) (7*14=98 MB traffic)
98+14=112 MB.

If I were to be the host and if I were to send these banks to all players it would take me about 33 minutes.